OUTCOME:
7.7.7 Analyse and present information from secondary sources to trace the history of the selective breeding of one species for agricultural purposes and use available evidence
to describe the series of changes that have occurred in the species as a result of this selective breeding
QUESTION:
For a named plant or animal species in agriculture, describe the impact selective breeding has had on the species. (3 Marks)
BAND:
Bands 4-5
MARKING CRITERIA:
Provides characteristics and features of selective breeding of a named species. | 3 |
Outlines the impacts of selective breeding on a named species | 2 |
Identifies a named species OR Identifies impacts of selective breeding | 1 |
FEEDBACK TO STUDENTS:
· Identify the species at the beginning of your answer.
· Specifically indicate the changes that the species has undergone
· State specifically how the changes from selective breeding are of benefit.
Nice question Mel.You identified the selected syllabus dot point followed by a explicit marking guideline. It would have been better if you gave a sample answer. By this we would have a clear idea of what you are expecting from the question.
ReplyDeleteAnd I just forgot include the feedback on my question. For this I had to assume what possible weaknesses might arise in the answer provided by the students.
With your feedback I could understand your assumptions about the possible mistake. Next year anyone of us can use your question in their own class.
Good marking guideline Mel. it makes it very explicit for whomever is marking the question.
ReplyDeleteHowever, for the student I find using "for a named species" a little confusing. It would be easier to use the verb identify a species that is impacted by selective breeding pressure or something similar.
Just a little suggestion, maybe a piece of text from an article on selective breeding could be incorporated prior to the question.
Overall it was a well presented question. Good job.
Hi Mel
ReplyDeleteYour question is nicely linked to the dot point you have selected. I agree with Sam that the question is a little confusing. I would maybe rephrase the question to:
Describe the impact selective breeding has had on one species of plant or animal in agriculture?
Or alternatively
Using one species of plant or animal as an example, describe the impact selective breeding has had on the species in agriculture?
I would also include a sample answer for those teachers who have not taught this topic yet or are not familiar with the subject area.
Hi Mel,
ReplyDeleteYour question links with the dot point that you have chosen. I think you should have asked to identify the species in your question, As one of the marking criteria is to identify the species.Including a sample answer would be good as the markers know clearly what to expect from student answers also all the students will be marked equally based on marking guidlines and sample answer provided.